This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Welcome to your ultimate guide on DIY Farmhouse Home Decor Ideas! Brimming with ten rustic, easy-to-implement, do-it-yourself projects, we aim to breathe a breath of fresh country air into every corner of your home. From the welcoming charm of your front porch to the cozy comfort of your living room, each space can be transformed into a farmhouse-style sanctuary. Whether you’re a seasoned DIY-er or a newcomer, these carefully curated decor ideas will instill your home with a captivating rustic charm that will leave you and your guests enamored. So, start reimagining your home with farmhouse magic!
1. Free Farmhouse Style Printables
One of the easiest ways to add some chicness to your farmhouse walls is to print out some free art prints. This free farmhouse printable by The Okie Home is a beautiful example; I love that it’s monochromatic and minimalistic art. Just frame it and hang it up for a unique and modern look.
2. Reviving Thrift Store Farmhouse Jars
Consider those dusty canisters you may stumble upon in a thrift store. With a coat of white spray paint, some precise black stenciling, and a touch of sanding, you can turn these forgotten items into beautiful farmhouse-style containers.
They’re perfect for storing your treasured kitchen supplies, or for keeping your tea and coffee essentials handy. On the farm, items often come in large, sturdy containers that exude a comforting feeling of abundance – and with these DIY containers, you can bring that farmhouse charm right into your kitchen!
For a step-by-step guide on this transformation process, visit Twelveonmain.com. Their instructions will assist you in reimagining thrift store canisters into authentic farmhouse jars.
3. Repurposing Ladders For Stylish Storage
Nothing says farmhouse decor like a vintage ladder. A DIY blanket ladder can be the perfect display for your plush throws in the living room, adding both storage and style. Gratefullyvintage describes how to mount a ladder to the wall. It also describes how to cut a groove into the wood in order to hold plates or picture frames in place if you’d rather use them as shelves.
4. DIY Farmhouse Decor Kitchen Racks
Kitchen racks can be functional as well as attractive.
Hanging coffee mugs with the addition of a potted plant adds to the farmhouse appeal. Stonegable has a wonderful example of how to make this work.
I never would’ve thought about hanging a potted plant on a rack but as you can see it really adds some much-needed greenery to the kitchen decor.
5. Rustic DIY Entryway Coat Rack
What’s the point of trying to go with a rustic look if you can’t make people feel at home as soon as they walk in the door?
A rustic coat rack in the entryway instantly welcomes any visitor and makes them feel at home. LizMarieBlog gives a DIY on how to make this beautiful coat rack. You might be thinking that it’s impossible to find a barn door just lying around and you’re right, but you can repurpose almost any wood door in this fashion.
6. Wooden Signs: Easiest Farmhouse Home Decor
In any house with farmhouse décor, you are sure to find some kind of wooden sign. Wooden signs can be hung anywhere in the house. That makes it the simplest of all the diy farmhouse decor ideas.
7. Pallet To Farmhouse Picture Frames
Wood pallets are used in many different ways in farmhouse decor.
They can be used to make written signs but I love the use of them as plaques.
Plaques are an easy and attractive way to show off pictures or notes. At ohmy-creative.com there is a wonderful tutorial for making these plaques.
8. DIY Farmhouse Decorations Using Old Windows
Old window frames are another example of an item being repurposed into a completely new farmhouse home decor item. The use of a window frame to display family photos, candles, and other pieces is one of my favorite uses. They’re just gorge!
9. Old-School Chalkboard Farmhouse Decor
A chalkboard is probably one of the easiest ways to add rural flair to your house. It might bring up memories of the old schoolhouse but if you can get your hands on a nice chalkboard then there are some cool things you can do with it.
It’s easy to buy one and you can hang it anywhere in the house. But, if you’re feeling crafty, The Inspired Hive has a set of easy instructions on making your own chalkboard.
10. Rustic Dining Room Table
If you’re feeling ambitious, a DIY dining room table can bring a significant impact. Using a combination of wood stain and painted legs can create an enchanting, rustic contrast. Remember, perfection isn’t the goal here; it’s about embodying that weathered and distressed finish. That’s what really makes for farmhouse interior design. For an easy tutorial on how to create this look, hit the hardware store and check out CherishedBliss.
11. Modern Farmhouse Decor Word Art
If you have some lettering skills, a quote on a canvas is always a quick and easy way to get something gorgeous on your walls! Grab some Sharpies and canvases from the dollar store and create a modern farmhouse decor sign for your laundry room!
12. Inviting Planters for the Porch
Speaking of front porch decor, planters are a fantastic way to bring in a pop of color and a touch of nature. With a wooden crate, some stain, and your choice of flowers and plants, this easy DIY project can bring a natural feel to your home’s entrance.
13. DIY Country Wreaths For That Farmhouse Look
A wreath is the welcoming face of your home, and what better way to greet your guests than with DIY farmhouse decorations? From front porch hanging to indoor adornment, wreaths offer versatility in design. Incorporate elements of greenery, burlap, twine, or even jute for that timeless farmhouse style.
14. DIY Mason Jar Bathroom Light Fixture
Revamp your bathroom’s ambiance with a charming DIY Mason Jar Light Fixture. This farmhouse-style DIY project transforms ordinary mason jars into a rustic light feature perfect for adding warmth to your bathroom. Start by securing mason jars to a wooden board using sturdy hose clamps. Then, fix a bulb holder within each jar and connect the wiring. Finally, mount the board to the wall or ceiling, ensuring all electrical connections are safe and secure. The glowing mason jars will cast a soft, diffused light, making your bathroom feel cozy and inviting. Not only is this project an exciting exercise in creativity, but it’s also an excellent way to blend functionality with farmhouse charm.
15. Farmhouse Style Tray
A tray can serve as an excellent centerpiece for your dining room table. Stain a wooden tray and adorn it with candles, small planters, or other decor pieces. It’s a simple way to add that cozy farmhouse style to your meals and gatherings.
16. Ticking Fabric For Accent Pillows
Ticking fabric is another farmhouse staple that you can use to make pillows, cushions, or slipcovers. I’ve seen people use it to make shower curtains too!
How can I decorate my house like a farmhouse?
Decorating your house like a farmhouse involves more than just introducing rustic elements; it’s about embracing a way of life that celebrates simplicity, comfort, and the beauty of natural materials. Let’s explore how you can encapsulate this essence in your home:
- Incorporate Natural Elements: Use natural materials like wood, stone, and metal. This could mean installing a rustic dining table, a DIY mason jar bathroom light fixture, or simply adding wooden trays and metal planters to your rooms.
- DIY Farmhouse Decorations: Get your hands dirty with some DIY farmhouse home decor ideas! From creating cozy burlap pillows for your living room to crafting your own blanket ladder, there’s no shortage of projects that will infuse your home with farmhouse charm.
- Embrace Neutrals and Earth Tones: Farmhouse style thrives on a neutral palette accentuated with earthy colors. Start with a base of whites and creams, then add accents in shades of taupe, sage, or slate grey. Pops of muted colors can also add a touch of personality and warmth.
- Create Comfort: A farmhouse home is a comfortable home. Layer throw pillows and blankets throughout your living space, and create inviting vignettes with candles, wreaths, and rustic containers for a warm, lived-in look.
- Vintage and Thrift Store Finds: Vintage pieces and thrift store treasures are your best friends when creating a farmhouse aesthetic. Transform outdated canisters into rustic farmhouse jars, or repurpose an old wooden crate as a planter.
- Functional Decor: Farmhouse style is all about functionality. Utilize wire baskets for storage, create a handy hook system in your bathroom, and consider open shelving to display kitchenware or decor items.
These are just some DIY farmhouse home decor ideas that I love and I hope you do too. They are all easy, affordable, and fun crafts to make. You can customize them to suit your taste and style. They will surely add some farmhouse allure and character to your home.
I hope you enjoyed this post and found some inspiration for your next DIY project. Follow us on Pinterest for more home decor and DIY ideas.