This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
If you are looking for a fun and affordable way to encourage your kids to play and learn in the kitchen, you might want to consider getting an Ikea play kitchen. Their play kitchens are a popular choice among parents and kids alike. These toy kitchens are designed to be realistic, durable, and easy to customize. We’ll show you how to make the most of your IKEA play kitchen by sharing some makeover hacks, benefits, and even tips on how to create your own!
IKEA Play Kitchens: DUKTIG and SPISIG
IKEA offers two models of play kitchens: DUKTIG and SPISIG. Both are made of wood and have similar features, such as a sink, a stove, an oven, and a microwave. However, there are some differences between them that you might want to consider before buying one.
DUKTIG Play Kitchen
The IKEA DUKTIG play kitchen is the perfect playground for budding chefs and pastry artists.
- It’s the larger and more popular model of IKEA play kitchens.
- It measures 72x40x109 cm and weighs 14.7 kg.
- It’s got a modern and sleek design, with white and gray colors and stainless steel accents.
- The faucet is realistic-looking and has knobs that make clicking sounds when turned.
- The stove-top lights can be turned on and off, providing a lifelike glow without any heat.
- Adapts as your child grows. The leg height can be adjusted to three different levels.
- The sink is removable for hassle-free cleaning.
SPISIG Play Kitchen
While we refer to it as a play kitchen, its true identity lies in the hands of little dreamers. It could transform into a restaurant, café, store, or even a puppet theater.
- This is the smaller and newer model of IKEA play kitchen. It measures 55x37x98 cm and weighs 9.5 kg.
- Engage from both sides – one side features a fully-equipped kitchen, while the other hosts a chalkboard for jotting down the day’s specials.
- Sandwiched in between is a window adorned with curtains (or perhaps, a theatrical curtain).
- The stove’s dial produces a clicking sound when the burners are switched on and off, mimicking a real stove.
To sum up, DUKTIG and SPISIG are both great play kitchens that can suit different needs and preferences. If you want a larger, more realistic, and more customizable play kitchen, you might prefer DUKTIG. If you want a smaller, more affordable, and more portable play kitchen, you might prefer SPISIG. Either way, you can be sure that your kids will have fun playing with their IKEA play kitchen.
How to Hack Your IKEA Play Kitchen
One of the best things about IKEA play kitchens is that you can hack them to suit your personal style and preferences. There are countless ways to customize your play kitchen, from adding new features and accessories to changing the color scheme and theme. Here are some of our favorite IKEA play kitchen hacks that we found online:
The Minimalist Ikea Duktig Kid Kitchen:
Retro vibes Ikea Duktig Play Kitchen
Ikea Duktig Play Kitchen Turned Bakery
Ikea Duktig Kitchen Hacked Green
Natural Wood Additions to Ikea Spisig Kitchen
Ikea Spisig Play Kitchen with Rustic Backsplash
Fully Functional Ikea Spisig Play Kitchen
Why Choose an IKEA Play Kitchen?
IKEA play kitchens are a great choice for parents who want to provide their kids with a safe and stimulating environment to explore their culinary creativity. Here are some of the reasons why we love IKEA play kitchens:
- They are made of wood, which is a renewable and recyclable material that ages beautifully and is an important part of Scandinavian design heritage.
- They are easy to assemble and disassemble, which makes them convenient to move around or store away when not in use.
- They are versatile and adaptable, which means you can change the look and functionality of your play kitchen by adding or removing accessories, painting or wallpapering the surface, or even transforming it into a shop, café, or puppet theater.
- They are affordable and accessible, which means you can find them in most IKEA stores or online, and they won’t break the bank compared to other play kitchens on the market.
Benefits of Playing with IKEA Play Kitchens
Playing with an IKEA play kitchen is not only fun but also beneficial for your kids’ development. Here are some of the ways that your kids can benefit from playing with an IKEA play kitchen:
- They can learn about food and nutrition by pretending to cook and eat different dishes, fruits, vegetables, and snacks. They can also learn about different cuisines and cultures by exploring recipes from around the world.
- They can practice math and literacy skills by counting, measuring, sorting, labeling, reading, and writing in their play kitchen. They can also practice money skills by using pretend coins and bills in their shop or café.
- They can enhance their creativity and imagination by making up stories and scenarios in their play kitchen. They can also express their personality and preferences by choosing their favorite colors, themes, and accessories for their play kitchen.
- Promotes imaginative play, aiding in the development of children’s social skills as they mimic adults and create their own roles.
- They can learn how to share, cooperate, communicate, negotiate, empathize, and resolve conflicts in their play kitchen.
How to Create Your Own Ikea Toy Kitchen Hack?
If you are feeling inspired by these amazing Ikea toy kitchen hacks, you might want to try creating your own. Here are some tips on how to do it:
- Plan ahead. Before you start hacking your play kitchen, think about what you want to achieve. Do you want to change the color scheme? Add some texture or pattern? Add some new features or accessories? Make a list of the materials and tools you will need, and measure the dimensions of your play kitchen.
- Choose your materials wisely. Depending on what kind of hack you want to do, you might need different types of materials.
- For example, if you want to paint your play kitchen, you will need primer, paint, brushes or rollers, painter’s tape, sandpaper, etc.
- If you want to wallpaper your play kitchen, you will need wallpaper or contact paper, scissors or utility knife, ruler or tape measure, etc.
- If you want to add new knobs or handles, you will need screws or glue, a drill or screwdriver, etc. Make sure you choose materials that are suitable for wood or plastic surfaces.
- Follow the instructions. If you are not sure how to hack your play kitchen safely and effectively, it is always a good idea to follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer or other sources. There are lots of YouTube video tutorials if you feel like you need a little extra help!
- Have fun! The most important thing about hacking your play kitchen is to have fun with it. Let your creativity and imagination run wild. Experiment with different colors, patterns, textures, and accessories.
- Involve your child in the process, and let them express their preferences and opinions. Make it a fun and memorable experience for both of you.
FAQs: IKEA Play Kitchens
How do I add running water to my IKEA play kitchen?
You can add running water to your IKEA play kitchen by using a water dispenser, a clear plastic jar, a funnel, and a drill. You can follow this tutorial by The Organized Mom Life to see how it’s done.
How do I make my IKEA play kitchen more realistic?
You can make your IKEA play kitchen more realistic by adding real running water, sounds, lights, and interactive elements. You can use battery-operated diodes, LED strips, sound buttons, or motion sensors to create some effects. You can also use real kitchen utensils, pots, pans, plates, cups, and food containers to make your play kitchen more authentic.
How much does the Ikea play kitchen cost?
The Ikea Duktig play kitchen costs $99.99 in the US, £60 in the UK, and $149 in Australia. The price obviously varies depending on your location and availability. The cost of the Ikea Spisig play kitchen with curtains also varies by location. In the United States, it costs $69.99. In the United Kingdom, it costs £59.
What are the Ikea play kitchen dimensions?
The Ikea Duktig play kitchen has the following dimensions: width 28 3/8″, depth 15 3/4″, and height 42 7/8″ (or 72 cm, 40 cm, and 109 cm respectively). The height can be adjusted to three different levels: 19 5/8″, 21 5/8″, or 23 5/8″ (or 50 cm, 55 cm, or 60 cm respectively).
The dimensions of the IKEA SPISIG play kitchen with curtains are 21 5/8 x 14 5/8 x 38 5/8 inches (or 55 x 37 x 98 cm).
How long does it take to assemble the Ikea Duktig play kitchen?
The assembly time of the Ikea Duktig play kitchen may vary depending on your skills and tools, but it should take around one to two hours. You’ll need a Phillips screwdriver, a flat screwdriver, a hammer, and a wrench to assemble the play kitchen.
How do I clean the Ikea Duktig play kitchen?
To clean the Ikea Duktig play kitchen, you can wipe it with a damp cloth and a mild cleaner. Do not use abrasive cleaners or scouring pads, as they may damage the surface. Do not immerse the play kitchen or any of its parts in water, as they may cause damage to the electrical components. You can also remove any stickers or decals that might peel off over time (I’ve used Goo Gone before!).
IKEA play kitchens are a great way to inspire your kids to play and learn in the kitchen. They are durable, versatile, affordable, and fun. You can customize them to suit your style and needs, and you can benefit from them in many ways. We hope this blog post has given you some ideas and tips on how to make the most of your IKEA play kitchen. Please share this with others who love a little IKEA hack inspo and follow us on Pinterest for more Ikea product guides and hacks!