This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
If you love decorating your home with your own personal touch, you might be interested in learning some DIY skills that can help you achieve your vision. DIY projects can be fun, rewarding, and cost-effective, but they also require some basic tools and equipment to get started. We’ll introduce you to some of the essential DIY tools for home decor that every beginner should have in their toolbox. We also share some tips on how to use them properly and safely, as well as some ideas on what you can create with them.
Essential Tools for DIY Home Decor
When starting your journey into DIY home decor, having the right tools is crucial. Here’s a categorized list of the most common and versatile ones that you should consider investing in:
Basic Hand Tools
- Hammer: Essential for driving in or removing nails. You should look for a medium-weight hammer that fits comfortably in your hand and has a claw at the opposite end of the head for pulling out nails. A good example is the Estwing Hammer, which has a durable steel construction and a shock-reducing grip.
- Screwdrivers: You should have at least a flat-head screwdriver and a Phillips-head screwdriver in your toolbox, as these are the most common types of screws. You can also opt for a screwdriver set that includes various sizes and shapes of screwdrivers, such as the Craftsman Screwdriver Set, which has a convenient storage case.
- Measuring Tape: A measuring tape is a must-have tool for any DIYer, as it will help you measure accurately and precisely for your projects. Whether you need to measure for a tablecloth, a window treatment, or a new flooring, you should have a measuring tape that is long enough to cover your needs. A 25-foot measuring tape should be sufficient for most home decor projects. You should also look for a measuring tape that has a wide and sturdy tape that is easy to read and retract. The Stanley Fatmax 25-Foot Tape Measure is a great option
- Level: A level is a tool that helps you ensure that your surfaces or objects are horizontal or vertical. This is important for achieving a balanced and symmetrical look in your home decor, especially when you are hanging pictures, shelves, or mirrors. A level can also help you avoid drilling unnecessary holes in your walls or making crooked cuts. The Craftsman Magnetic Torpedo Level is a good example that has three vials for different angles and a magnetic base for hands-free use.
- Drill & Drill Bits: A drill is a power tool that allows you to make holes in various materials, such as wood, metal, plastic, or concrete. You can use a drill for installing hardware, mounting fixtures, or creating decorative accents in your home decor. A drill can also be used to drive screws or other fasteners with the right drill bits. You should look for a cordless drill that is lightweight. The Black+Decker 20V Max Cordless Drill is a popular choice for convenience and comes with a battery, a charger, and accessories.
- Nailers: These are also known as “nail guns” and they drive nails with precision. Depending on your project, you may need a framing nailer, finish nailer, or a brad nailer.
- Putty Knife: Useful for applying or scraping off substances like putty or paint.
- Staple Gun: A staple gun is a device that can drive metal staples into wood, plastic, or other materials. It can be used for various home decor projects, such as attaching fabric to furniture, securing wires or cables, hanging posters or pictures, or creating wall art.
- Hot Glue Gun and Glue Sticks: It can be used for various home decor projects, such as making wreaths, ornaments, frames, flowers, or sculptures. Some factors to consider when choosing a hot glue gun are the size, temperature, power source, and nozzle of the gun.
- Stud Finder: A stud finder is a device that can detect the location of wooden or metal studs behind a wall. It can be used for various home decor projects that require hanging items on the wall securely and safely. There are different types of stud finders for different walls and features, such as magnetic stud finders, electronic stud finders, edge finders, center finders, or multi-scanners.
- Painter’s Tape: Painter’s tape is a type of masking tape that can be used to create crisp and clean edges when painting walls or other surfaces. It can also be used for various home decor projects that involve creating patterns or designs with paint on the wall. Some factors to consider when choosing painter’s tape are the width, adhesion level, surface type and condition.
Cutting & Shaping Tools
- Knives: Various knives can be used for different tasks. Utility and craft knives are most common in DIY decor.
- Saw: Depending on the project, you may need hand saws, circular saws, or jigsaws.
Kits & Sets
- Tool Kits: These provide a range of basic tools. When starting, a general-purpose tool kit can cover many needs.
- Paint Brushes: There are different types of paint brushes for different purposes, such as painting walls, furniture, art, or crafts. Some factors to consider when choosing a paint brush are the size, shape, bristle type, and quality of the brush.
Using Your DIY Tools Safely
Before you start using any of these DIY tools for home decor, you should make sure that you follow some basic safety precautions and best practices:
- Wear protective gear: Depending on the type of project and tool you are using, you may need to wear gloves, goggles, earplugs, or masks to protect yourself from injuries or hazards. Always read the instructions and warnings of the tools before using them and follow them accordingly.
- Work in a well-lit and ventilated area: Make sure that you have enough light and air circulation in your workspace to avoid accidents or health issues. Avoid working near flammable materials or sources of heat or sparks. Keep children and pets away from your work area.
- Use the right tool for the right job: Don’t try to improvise or substitute tools that are not designed for the task at hand. For example, don’t use a hammer as a chisel or a screwdriver as a pry bar. Using the wrong tool can damage the tool, the material, or yourself.
- Maintain your tools: Keep your tools clean and sharp to ensure their optimal performance and longevity. Store your tools in a dry and secure place when not in use. Check your tools regularly for any signs of wear or damage and repair or replace them as needed.What can you create with these DIY tools for home decor?
DIY Home Decor Inspirations
With these tools, you can undertake numerous projects, from creating a gallery wall or crafting a coffee table to building functional storage or decorative accents. Your imagination is the limit! Check out our some of our favorite DIY home decor projects now that you have some tools at your disposal!
- 22 Dollar Tree Farmhouse DIYs with Serious Style
- Macrame Wall Hanging DIY: Create Wall Art with Simple Knots
- 9 DIY Wall Climbing Shelves For Cats & How To Make Them
- Follow us on Pinterest for even more
What are some other DIY tools that I might need for home decor projects?
Depending on the type and complexity of your projects, you might need some other DIY tools that are not mentioned in this blog post. Some of these tools include:
- A saw: A saw is a tool that allows you to cut wood or other materials into different shapes and sizes. There are different types of saws for different purposes, such as hand saws, circular saws, jigsaws, or miter saws (they even sell mini table saws!).
- A sander: A sander is a tool that allows you to smooth the surface of wood or other materials by removing rough edges or imperfections. There are different types of sanders for different purposes, such as belt sanders, orbital sanders, or palm sanders.
- A Kreg jig: These are popular with woodworking DIYers because they create holes to hide screws and can help pieces of wood fit together tightly.
How do I learn how to use these DIY tools for home decor projects?
The best way to learn how to use these DIY tools for home decor projects is by practicing and experimenting with them. You can start by following some simple tutorials or guides that show you step-by-step how to complete certain projects with these tools. You can also watch some videos or read some blogs that offer tips and tricks on how to use these tools effectively and safely. Some of the online resources that you can check out include:
- The Home Depot Blog: This blog offers various articles on how to do different home improvement projects with different tools and materials.
- Lowe’s YouTube Channel: This channel offers various videos on how to do different home improvement projects with different tools and materials.
How do I choose the best DIY tools for home decor projects?
There is no definitive answer to this question, as the best DIY tools for home decor projects may vary depending on your personal preferences, budget, skill level, and project needs. However, here are some general factors that you should consider when choosing DIY tools for home decor projects:
- Quality: You should look for DIY tools that are made of durable and reliable materials that can withstand frequent and heavy use and abuse. You should also look for DIY tools that have good reviews and ratings from other users who have tried them.
- Features: You should look for DIY tools that have the features that suit your needs and preferences. For example, you may want to look for DIY tools that are cordless, rechargeable, adjustable, or ergonomic. You should also look for DIY tools that have the accessories or attachments that you need for your projects.
- Price: You should look for DIY tools that fit your budget and offer good value for money. You don’t have to spend a fortune on DIY tools, but you also don’t want to compromise on quality or performance. You should compare the prices and features of different DIY tools and look for discounts or deals that can help you save money.
- Warranty: You should look for DIY tools that come with a warranty or a guarantee that covers any defects or damages that may occur during normal use. This can give you peace of mind and confidence in your purchase. You should also check the terms and conditions of the warranty and how to claim it if needed.
Conclusion: DIY Tools For Decor
DIY home decor projects can be a great way to express your creativity and personality in your living space. However, you will need some essential DIY tools to help you complete your projects successfully and safely. We introduced you to some of the essential DIY tools for home decor that every beginner should have in their toolbox, as well as some tips on how to use them properly and safely, and some ideas on what you can create with them.
We hope that this blog post has inspired you to start your own DIY home decor projects. You can now officially call yourself a “Design-it-Yourself’er”!