This post may contain affiliate links, which means I’ll receive a commission if you purchase through my links, at no extra cost to you. Please read full disclosure for more information.
Air fryer ovens are amazing appliances that can cook crispy and delicious foods with little or no oil. However, over time, they can also accumulate baked on grease and food residue that can affect their performance and taste. If you want to keep your air fryer oven in good shape and enjoy its benefits for longer, you need to clean it regularly and properly.
We’ll show you how to clean baked on grease from an air fryer oven using some simple tips and tricks. We will also answer some frequently asked questions about air fryer oven maintenance and care. By following these steps, you can make your air fryer oven look like new and extend its lifespan.
What You’ll Need
To clean baked-on grease from the air fryer oven, you will need the following items:
- A soft-bristled brush or a toothbrush
- A sponge or a microfiber cloth
- Dish soap or baking soda
- Vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
- A baking sheet or a tray
How to Clean Baked on Grease from Air Fryer Oven
Before you start cleaning your air fryer oven, make sure it is unplugged and completely cooled down. You don’t want to burn yourself or damage the appliance. Don’t submerge the main unit of the air fryer oven in water or any liquid to avoid damaging the electronic components. Also, check the manual for any specific instructions or warnings from the manufacturer.
Here are the steps to clean baked on grease from the air fryer oven:
- Remove the basket, racks, trays, and any other removable parts from the air fryer oven. Wash them in warm soapy water and use a soft-bristled brush or a toothbrush to scrub away any residue. Don’t use metal utensils or steel wool to scrub, as this can damage the non-stick coating. If there’s any burnt-on residue, you can soak the parts in the soapy water for 20 minutes before cleaning. Rinse and dry them thoroughly.
- Wipe down the interior surfaces of the air fryer oven with a damp sponge or cloth. Make sure to get into all crevices and corners. If there’s any stubborn grease or food particles, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water to make a paste and apply it to the affected areas. Let it sit for 10 minutes and then wipe it off with a damp cloth. You can also use vinegar or lemon juice to cut through the grease and deodorize the oven.
- Place a baking sheet or a tray on the bottom rack of the oven and cover it with foil. This will catch any drips or crumbs that may fall from the top heating elements or the fan during the next step.
- Turn on the air fryer oven and set it to the highest temperature for 10 minutes. This will help loosen any remaining grease or debris inside the oven. You may see some smoke coming out of the oven but don’t worry, this is normal and harmless. Just make sure your kitchen is well-ventilated and keep an eye on the oven.
- Turn off the air fryer oven and let it cool down completely. Then, remove the baking sheet or tray and discard the foil. Wipe down the interior surfaces of the oven again with a damp cloth to remove any remaining dirt or grease.
- Clean the exterior surfaces of the air fryer oven with a damp cloth and a mild detergent. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or scouring pads that may scratch or damage the finish. Dry the oven with a soft cloth or towel.
- Reassemble the basket, racks, trays, and any other parts that you removed earlier. Make sure they are dry and fit securely in place.
- Plug in your air fryer oven and enjoy cooking your favorite foods!
How often should I clean my air fryer oven?
You should clean your air fryer oven after every use to prevent grease and food residue from building up and affecting its performance and taste. You should also do a deep cleaning once a month or whenever you notice excessive smoke, odor, or dirt inside the oven.
Can I use aluminum foil in my air fryer oven?
You can use aluminum foil in your air fryer oven as long as you don’t cover the entire basket or rack with it. This may block the airflow and prevent even cooking. You should also avoid using foil that is too thin or too large, as it may tear or fly around inside the oven.
Can I put my air fryer oven parts in the dishwasher?
Some air fryer oven parts may be dishwasher-safe, but you should always check the manual for specific instructions from the manufacturer. Even if they are dishwasher-safe, you may want to hand wash them occasionally to remove any stubborn grease or food particles that may not come off in the dishwasher.
Can I use cooking spray in my air fryer oven?
You can use cooking spray in your air fryer oven, but you should use it sparingly and only on the food, not on the basket or racks. Too much oil or spray may cause smoke, odor, or fire hazards. You should also avoid using aerosol sprays that contain propellants or chemicals that may damage the non-stick coating of the oven.
Cleaning baked on grease from air fryer oven is not a difficult task if you follow the steps we outlined above. By doing so, you can keep your air fryer oven in good condition and enjoy its benefits for longer. Remember to clean your air fryer oven regularly and properly to prevent grease and food residue from accumulating and affecting its performance and taste.