If you’re thinking about decorating your bedroom in a mid-century modern style, you have come to exactly the right place.
I’m a big fan of the minimal clean lines of mid century style and I think it’s perfect for the bedroom. I like things simple and tidy in that restful room.
Mid Century Bedroom Furniture & Decor
Mid Century Modern is known to be a minimal style.
But by no means does that make it cold or boring.
When you walk into your Mid Century Modern bedroom at night, the day is going to melt off of you. There are no distractions. It’s an immediate calm.
When you wake in the morning to your Mid Century Modern bedroom, the calm has become an invigorating energy that comes from a restful sleep.
Your eyes aren’t bouncing from one distraction to the next. You’re just ready to face the day at your best.
We’re going to cover all of the bedroom items. Beds, furniture, lighting, decor and linens.
You can pick and choose what you love.
What Does Your Room Need?
Mid Century Modern Beds
A new bed will go a long way in making your room look authentically mid-century modern. There are options here that can fit into almost any budget.
Mid Century furniture has a distinct look and feel and it really can make the room.
You’ll notice there is a theme of platform beds, but they are all varied in their styles.
- This platform tufted bed is exactly right for a mid century modern bedroom. The fabric leaves you open to a lot of different accent color choices.
- The wood paneling on this platform bed is a perfectly updated version of the wood paneling that started happening in the 60’s.
- This channel headboard also incorporates some handsome gray tweed like fabric which is also a staple for mid century style.
- I’m obsessed with this spindle bed. If you want a mix of Mid Century and Boho style, this is 100% the bed for you. I love the honey tone of the wood and that sculptural headboard is a big yes for me.
- If you aren’t into having a headboard with fabric on it (they are a pain to clean, after all), then this wood platform bed with brass accents is a great option for you. The tiny bit of brass at the feet of this bed is the perfect touch to take this bed from a basic to classic.
- This gray modern bed is a great fit for almost any color scheme, but I really it with that pretty blue in the accent pillow. A blush pink would work, too, though if you want something a little feminine.
Mid Century Modern Bedroom Furniture
Storage is incredibly important in the bedroom. You can have all of the clean lines you want but if your clothes are all over the place, you’re not going to feel very calm.
So a good dresser with a bunch of drawers and nightstands with storage are always a must.
But, if you manage it, think about some accent furniture for the bedroom, too. A bench or a couple of chairs are perfect for making the room even more functional.
- Wouldn’t your sweaters be happy in this beautiful dresser with white front drawers? This white accent on top of the warm wood is one of my favorite things you’ll find in mid century modern furniture. I would definitely do this in my own bedroom. This is updated modern.
- If your bedroom is big enough an accent chair or two is a great idea. It can be a place to have a cup of coffee in the morning. Or glass of wine at night.
- I absolutely had to include this upholstered dresser. I love the look of it and it’s definitely very mid century modern. I can’t imagine many original dressers like this have survived, but it’s a great look to revive.
- This mango wood side table might be edging a little closer to Brady Brunch, but it’s beautiful, nonetheless. Plenty of storage here and the brass fixtures are polished and not too brassy.
- I love the idea of a black and white mid century bedroom and this black dresser would fit into that look perfectly. If you go black and white, be sure to have some texture and some variations in whites, creams, grays. Just black and true white can be a little stark.
- This marble top side table is perfect for a mid century modern bedroom. I love the combination of open storage plus a drawer and having no hardware keeps this looking slick.
- This handsome dark wood brown dresser is a great for a bedroom that is short on space. It’s got decent storage, but it’s not going to take up a lot of space. It’s got classic mid century lines and the brass detail, too.
- Here’s your cute little bench for putting your shoes or socks on. This is perfect for the end of the bed.
- If you’re looking for light and bright Mid Century Modern, then this white geometric dresser is perfect. I love the texture this brings to a room.
Mid Century Modern Bedroom Lighting
Lighting plays a couple of roles in the bedroom. One of them is, well, light, of course.
But in a room that doesn’t usually have a lot of decor happening, the lighting you choose has to have some style.
A pop of color or a metallic finish become the accessories in your bedrooms “outfit”. They add some interest and personality.
- These two geometric lamps are perfect in shape and metal for a mid century bedroom. These look like “today” but with a touch of mid century style, especially with the brass.
- I love a pop of bright color and these cheerful yellow lamps are beautiful in an otherwise neutral bedroom. You don’t need a lot of color to make a statement with color, you just need the right color. This yellow is right.
- How about sputnik chandelier for over the bed? It’s definitely a statement and very mid century modern. Make sure you’ve got some high ceilings in your bedroom.
- These Espresso Bronze lamps are very true to the mid century style. They are almost sculptural in their shape and the proportions are perfect.
- If you need a little lamp for on top of the dresser or desk, this brass lamp is perfect. I love the mid century styling with the brass and the white globe and this has a nice small footprint so it won’t take up a lot of dresser real estate.
- This peacock blue lamp is a stunner. I love the almost mercury glass look it has.
Mid Century Modern Bedroom Decor
You don’t need to do a whole of decor in the bedroom. It’s not like the living room where you might want to have a lot for your eyes to do.
The bedroom just needs a few perfect things and then a lot of places for the eyes to rest.
That means what you do choose for decor should be really special and personal to you.
- I have a thing for a cute little alarm clock and this one is calling my name. I love the pop of red and the modern styling. It’s a perfect little moment to make you smile every morning.
- I’m not a fan of plants in the bedroom, but if you are, then this is the plant stand you want for your mid century modern bedroom. Just don’t forget to water the plant. Or get a fake one. Ok?
- If I were putting these beautiful candlesticks in my bedroom, I would look for LED tapers. But that beautiful brass and throw back style is perfect mid century decor.
- I love some big wall art over the bed and this tryptic in particular is quite stunning. I love the muted colors and I love that it’s kind of a throw back to something you’d see in the 50’s or 60’s, but an updated version.
- You need a mirror above the dresser, right? This brass mirror is perfect of that spot. I know you’re dresser probably came with a mirror, but be bold and replace it with something a little different. Why not? It’s your house.
- Most of the time I have a hard time with decor that is not functional but these brass birds make me smile and that is function enough for me. Maybe they can act as paperweights for my important papers on the bedside table. Or they can just be cute. That’s enough, right?
Mid Century Modern Bedroom Linens
The linens are probably the low key most important part of the bedroom. I mean, you sleep in them, they should be perfect for sleeping in.
But as part of your decor, they play a big role, too. You can’t have a grandmotherly floral comforter in this Mid Century Modern bedroom. It’s going to change the whole look of the room.
But you can do other types of patterns and even a sort of floral as you’ll see.
- This stunning large palm duvet cover is simple gorgeous. I love the colors, the grayed out blue and pink is color without being overwhelming. The pattern is a throw back to the florals of the 50’s and 60’s, but a completely modernized version.
- When in doubt you can absolutely not go wrong with a plain white quilt. You can layer other colors on top, or go for all soft neutrals, but this will work in any room at any time. The geometric stitched pattern gives this that mid century vibe, but if you decide to Boho in a few years, it will work there, too.
- These dusty pink corduroy throw pillow covers have great texture while still sticking with that simple mid century minimalism. One of my requirements for a throw pillow is that it is still functional (meaning I can lie my head on it if I want to) and these look like they’d be very cozy for a quick nap.
- This gorgeous yellow patterned pillow cover is perfect for the bed or your accent chair. It’s another great way to add just a little color to your bedroom.
- If you’re going to take a nap in the middle of the day, then you’re not going to want to actually get in your bed. You’re going to want a beautiful throw like this black and white one. Otherwise you’ll wake up feeling like a slug. There’s something about actually getting under the real covers that makes a nap a little too decadent.
- Or, if black and white isn’t your thing, you could go with this pretty patterned and textured gray throw. This could work pretty easily into almost any color scheme.